Glory Days!

Newspaper picture of Brymbo Steelworks FC, 1967

Back Row: John Partington (Sub.), Raymond Roberts, John Williams, Norman Roberts (Capt.), Neil Edwards, Tony Edwards, Mike Rogers (reserve), Albert Rathbone (Trainer).

Front Row: Colin Williams, Glyn Davies, Barry Edwards, Martin Edwards, Dilwyn Roberts, Dave Walker.


Brymbo bring home cup, Wrexham next?

Glyn Davies shoots Steelmen's late winner in thrilling final


BRYMBO STEELWORKS made history by winning the Welsh Amateur Cup on Saturday when, in a thrilling finish to the final at Llanidloes, Glyn Davies shot the winner two minutes from the end. And tomorrow, Brymbo's bigger brethren from Wrexham, bid to land a great East Denbighshire "double" by beating another Cardiff team to bring home the Welsh Cup.

Llanidloes, the picturesque little township in the heart of Montgomeryshire, was in the grip of football fever for this clash between the pride of North Wales amateur football and the kingpins of the South, Cardiff College of Education.

The rosettes, the rattles, the packed terraces, the immaculate turf looking like a carefully brushed green carpet - all these things gave the occasion a Wembley-like atmosphere. So who could blame the rival sets of supporters for engaging in some harmless pre-match capers? One thing was certain, whoever won this game, a new name would appear on the cup for neither team had been in the final before.

Well matched

Conditions were perfect and both sides began cautiously, like two boxers sparring for an opening, and it was some little time before either side launched a really incisive attack.

Cardiff gave clear and early evidence that they were a fine footballing side and their quick interchanging of positions at times belaboured the senses. But despite their moves, many of which were planned with architectural grace, the Collegians found little joy in the Brymbo penalty area where centre half John Williams appeared as if by magic at the moments of crisis.

The Steelmen, by contrast, were perhaps a little less scientific, a little more rugged but certainly a match for their clever opponents. It was an interesting game at this stage, but nothing more, for the different styles of play tended to create something of a stalemate.

Great goals

Then suddenly the atmosphere was shattered by two great goals in as many minutes. On the half hour, Brymbo were awarded a free kick. Right winger Colin Williams placed the ball over the wall of defenders and Martin Edwards leaped like a salmon to head into the net.

Two minutes later, Cardiff equalised. Inside left Malcolm Williams, the most industrious forward on the field, collected the ball on the left wing, turned towards his own goal then swivelled round and from 20 yards scored with a shot as swift, spectacular and unexpected as summer lightning.

This was a real blow for Brymbo, for goalkeeper Barry Edwards allowed the ball to spin out of his hands. So honours were even at half time.

If they had any cares at all, Brymbo looked as if they had left them all in the dressing room as they tore into their task when the second half began.

Ahead again

Dilwyn Roberts, the Steelworkers' 38-year-old forward whose endless love affair with Brymbo began 22 years ago, hit the post with a blistering drive and then in the 53rd minute he sent a perfect pass to the unmarked David Walker who sent in a vicious right foot shot which fairly ripped into the net.

This setback stung the students into more positive action and they swarmed to the attack. Geraint Roberts went very close with a fine header and the ever dangerous Malcolm Williams had cruel luck with one shot which was only inches wide.

The pin-neat passing of the Collegians continued to be a source of worry to the Brymbo rearguard and it was as well that this compact unit was in its most stubborn mood.

The thrills were coming thick and fast now and after Martin Edwards had blazed high over the bar when a cooler effort would have done the trick, Cardiff came again and ten minutes from time they equalised with a truly splendid goal by Malcolm Williams. He veered to the left, swept past the oncoming John Williams and cracked home a shot that was a goal all the way.


The encounter had become supercharged with excitement as action and power flooded into the football of both sides. Now the match was see-saw and ablaze with tension.

With just two minutes to go came a dazzling move which outshone all else on an afternoon when thrills, skills and fight made this a really great cup final. It ended with Dilwyn Roberts completely fooling a mass of defenders with a really clever flick which left Glyn Davies clear of all opposition and with only the goalkeeper in front of him.

Every Brymbo heart missed a beat as the stocky inside right fired in his shot. Then pandemonium broke loose as the ball bulged the back of the net.

History was made for Brymbo Steelworks Football Club - glorious history that will be etched on the memory for years to come.

Cardiff College Of Education- David Davies (*), John Taylor, Ronald Jones, Michael Marland, Russell Perkins, Trevor Williams, Norman Dawkins, Geraint Roberts, Norman Morgan, Malcolm Williams, Clive Nock.

Brymbo Steelworks- Barry Edwards, Tony Edwards, Norman Roberts, Raymond Roberts, John Williams, Neil Edwards, Colin Williams, Glyn Davies, Martin Edwards, Dilwyn Roberts, David Walker.

The referee was Mr K. Sweet of Abercwmboi.

(* Later to become famous as Dai Davies, Welsh international goalkeeper)