This Is Not A
I envisage that - for a while during today (Sunday) - The Gallery will be unavailable.
This is because I intend to upload it in its new form, and it's easier to do that by removing the old one in its entirety (otherwise I may get confused).
An update will follow once the job has been done.
(Well I did say, didn't I?)
As Speedy Gonzales once said, "Thees won' hurt - deed eet?"
Yes, The Gallery is now open in its refurbished guise. A few notes and comments:
- The overall look of it isn't much changed, as it reflects the look of the whole site, so don't go expecting novelty
- I've given it a better structure in thematic terms. Whilst this means that there are more levels to navigate through, it should make things easier to find. It should also make it easier for me to add categories, images or pictures later
- On the subject of navigation, most pages now have more than one picture on them, so I've duplicated the navigation arrows at the bottom of the page to help avoid too much scrolling (an idea which only came to me last night, truth be told). Oh, and apologies for the fact that those navigation arrows were bloody huge; as I only tend to view those pages on my home copy of the site, I hadn't realised that the wrong size of image was on the public version. Sorted now
- The fact that there are more images per page means that pages may be slow loading for those of you still on dialup in suchlike locations as Colorado, Arkansas and other Third World countries. Please bear with it best you can
- The text on a lot of the pages has had to be re-written to reflect the changes in context
- Similarly, there are more links between pages than before
- I've gone through and checked the map references - I found that some of them were hundreds of metres out
- Oh, and if you had bookmarked any pages or images on the old version, these will no longer work. Sorry!
And that's that. It's taken me about two months to sort out, and I hope you'll think it worth it. All the same, if anyone spots where I've made a screaming foul-up, I'd be grateful to be told.