The Judge RANTS!
The lack of any addition to this section of the site during July has less to do that you might think with the fact that I was incommunicado for half of the month. And it certainly isn't because of a shortage of things to snarl at.
It's not that there have been few things to get the goat; it's that there have been far too many. I mean, where would I start? I would have to cover:
- The inevitable result of the referendum vote being a sharp upswing in the number and scale of racially-motivated attacks, as those who have on the whole managed to keep their nasty little hatred hidden for so long now feel that they have been accorded the privilege to let rip with words and deeds. And, beyond that, the vaunting smugness of many of those in the public eye who - whilst not being racist at all, oh deary me no - nonetheless clearly regard such pustulant effusions with a certain degree of satisfaction at A British Job Well Done.
(Even the tone of the BBC seems to have changed in recent days; one would not be surprised to hear the voices of the exhumed Robin Boyle and Alvar Lidell coming out of the wireless again);
- The fact that Rosa Klebb is now Prime Minister, bringing the most authoritarian and vicious spirit to the job, and then utterly taking the piss by appointing Boris Johnson to the post of Secretary Of State For Administering A Good Talking-to To The Wogs;
- The fact that the right of the Labour Party - its parliamentary cohort in particular - still thinks that its sense of entitlement to permanent ideological overlordship of the Party is far more important than actually opposing what the most extreme right-wing government of our lifetimes is doing to people;
- That the forthcoming pick for Lobby-puppet Of The United States Of America will be between a self-obsessed sociopath and Wall Street's Bitch;
- That those divinely inspired by the finest intellects that seventh century Arabia had to offer are still somehow getting past all those spooks and cops with all those powers and all that apparatus which they insist we give them to enable them to keep us 'safe', in order to carry out atrocities on either the individual or communal scale; and
- The English newspapers (and not just the sports sections) are going on and on about 196-fucking-6 again.
Given all this, any attempt at analysis of events during what increasingly appears to be the International Year Of The Blissful Idiot would be superfluous, otiose and pointless.